Sunday, September 7, 2014

Pieces of me


Today is hell and I would give anything to make this end. I am literally peeling off pieces of me and placing bit and parts of my life, heart and soul into plastic bags people are leaving with. I loved this stupid store so much, I loved being a part of people's lives, I loved knowing I gave them a chance to buy the best while supporting the best - America's candy makers who are still here in the USA making products. This was a tiny amount of business to them but at least I stayed a firm supporter of what they offered and stood for - with this store closing that is one less supporter and already so many of us are gone.

When will people realize what we represented? I don't think they realize the love and care that went into this shop, the generations that came here and the dedication I had. The few visitors earlier today who caually bemoaned the fate of small businesses as they noted the other stores closing in this shopping center, ended up shrugging and writing it off to "progress". What progress, when like robots they all follow each other to the big chains while the real owners are fighting to hold on? When will anyone realize that we ARE the heart and soul of little towns, the unique flavor of an area and a real person? This is ripping my heart out and I can do nothing.







#thefinal90 #storeclosing #goodbye #smallbusiness #35years #heart

1 comment:

  1. I am very grateful for all the support and wonderful comments. Please don't ever feel that you should be sorry for me or that I'm throwing a pity party for myself. I just decided that in the last 90 days I would try to capture what it's like to say goodbye. Maybe one person will think where they choose in the future, or perhaps it will influence some tiny change in people's thinking. But please do not feel as if you have to comment or offer condolences; this is just my way of putting it out there to show that we are more than just a store. We are the heart and soul of our communities and to many independent owners this is far more than "just a job".

    If this matters to you, please share it.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete