Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Soon a light will go out

It's really sinking in tonight that everything is going to change forever in just a few weeks.


I was out tonight in town and headed home finally, traveling down a silent off -season road. My shop sits in a well-known cluster of brick buildings that have stood there since I was just a few years old, located at the corner of a beach highway intersection. As I make the turn to go home I can see the door and front window of the shop and the lights over the front display shines out into the courtyard. Every time I've turning that corner by the stop light for all these years, I've caught a glimpse of my store that I've taken such care to grow, preserve, nurture and love. A few years ago during the winter my light burned out and to make that turn and see darkness where the familiar glow always was seemed strange.  Now strange is going to become the new normal and that light will go out in just a few more weeks.


For the first time in almost half my life I'll be making that turn without seeing something that I built and that I poured my heart and soul into. It will just be another building to pass by once the life drains out of it in just a few more days, and I think to myself how very lucky I have been to have loved something so much.








#fading #light #store #closing #forever #35years #later #itsover #lettinggo #sayinggoodbye #mysmallbusiness #loved #customers #friends #memories #alltheseyears #candyshop #whatwestoodfor #belovedshop #favorite #destination #summertime #memory #thefinal90


No comments:

Post a Comment